This recipe, Avocado Toast with Tomatoes and Corn, was inspired by a visit to the Foxtrot Market in Chicago. Avocado toast is a delicious option for lunch or any meal. While avocado toast is delicious when just made simply with only a couple of ingredients, I think you will love these toppings that add fantastic flavor. The tomatoes add a fresh taste, and the aioli add creaminess and a little spice!
Ingredients for Avocado Toast with Tomatoes and Corn
- Sourdough bread. Delicious, fresh bread is key to avocado toast, and sourdough adds excellent flavor.
- Avocados, of course! Make sure your avocados have ripened when ready to make your toast. Ripe avocados have a dark green to black color skin and have a bumpy texture. They should also yield a little pressure but not be mushy or leave indentations. Choose firm green avocados if you are not making the avocado toast for 3-4 days.
- Tomatoes – I chose Petite Medley Snacking Tomatoes because they have beautiful orange, yellow, and red colors. But you can use grape or cherry tomatoes.
- Pan-roasted corn – adds some texture and color.
- Cilantro – and avocados go so well together. Unless, of course, you have a genetic predisposition that makes cilantro taste soapy! If so, you can leave it out.
- Cotija cheese – is a Mexican, dry grating cheese with a salty flavor like Parmesan cheese.
- Aioli – is traditionally a sauce made from garlic, olive oil, and salt. To avoid making this recipe long and complex, I use Kraft Chipotle Aioli to add a kick.
How to Make Avocado Toast with Tomatoes and Corn
First, start with pan roasting the corn—heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn, chili powder, salt, and pepper, and cook for 8-10 minutes or until corn starts to brown, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
Second, combine avocado, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Then mash with a fork or potato masher.
Third, toast the sourdough bread and slice the tomatoes in half while waiting.
Fourth, assemble your avocado toast. Spread on the avocado mixture, then top with sliced tomatoes, roasted corn, and grated cotija cheese. Then drizzle with chipotle aioli and serve!
Nutritional Benefits of Avocado Toast with Tomatoes and Corn
- Avocados are a nutrient-dense food, high in fiber and low in carbs! They are a great source of healthy fats and fiber and are low in carbohydrates. In one-third of an avocado, there are 4 grams of carbohydrates and 3 grams of fiber. And the healthy fats are monounsaturated with 5 grams and 1 gram of polyunsaturated. In addition, avocados are also a great source of vitamins C, E, K, B6, and folate and have an excellent source of magnesium and potassium.
- Tomatoes are a good source of vitamin C, providing 28% of the Recommended Daily Intake. They are also a good source of potassium, vitamin K, and folate. And tomatoes have the antioxidant lycopene. Lycopene gives tomatoes red color and has health benefits such as heart health and protection against some cancers.
- Corn is a starchy vegetable. However, corn is a grain if eaten from seeds like popcorn. Either way, corn has a good source of fiber, with 4.6 grams in 1 cup. And it is a good source of vitamin C, folate, magnesium, and potassium and an excellent source of thiamine.
- Fresh bread makes this avocado toast so delicious! If you cannot find fresh sourdough, fresh whole grain bread is another excellent choice.
- If you cannot find Cotija cheese, Parmesan or Romano cheese is a good substitute.
Recipe inspired by the Elote Avocado Toast at Foxtrot Market in Chicago
Avocado Toast with Tomatoes and Corn
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 2 avocados ripe
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 7 ounces frozen corn
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 tsp salt plus extra to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cotija cheese grated
- chipotle aioli such as Kraft Chipotle aioli
- Start with pan roasting the corn. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add corn, chili powder, salt,and pepper, and cook for 8-10 minutes or until corn starts to brown, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine avocado, cilantro, lime juice, and salt to taste. Then mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Toast the sourdough bread and slice the tomatoes in half while you wait.
- Assemble your avocado toast. Spread on the avocado mixture, then top with sliced tomatoes, roasted corn, and grated cotija cheese. Then drizzle with chipotle aioli and serve!
Latest posts by Veronica Thompson (see all)
- Tasty Kale Apple Walnut Salad including 5 Amazing Foods - September 24, 2022
- Easy Pollo Asado Tacos (Sheet Pan) - September 3, 2022
- Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad with Walnuts - August 20, 2022