Here is an Easy Homemade Chicken Taco Seasoning that is flavorful and easy to make without the additives and preservatives of store-bought seasoning packets. If you love Mexican food, especially tacos, then you know that the seasoning is the key to making it delicious.
And while plenty of premade taco seasonings are available at your neighborhood store, you may want the flexibility to make your own freshly made taco seasoning at home with ingredients you may already have in your pantry!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
- Full of flavor and customizable to your tastes
- Easy to make and add to your favorite taco ingredients
- And you can make it in advance and have seasoning ready for your next taco night dinner!
- While it is primarily for seasoning chicken, feel free to use it for beef, turkey, or shrimp tacos!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Chili powder is the backbone of the seasoning blend, adding a deep, smoky flavor.
- Oregano, a common herb in Mexican cuisine, gives the seasoning an earthy touch.
- Garlic powder adds a savory and aromatic element and enhances the flavor.
- Onion powder gives the taco seasoning a depth of flavor and sweetness and complements the other spices.
- Ground cumin pairs well with chicken by adding an earthy and nutty flavor.
- Paprika balances out the heat from the chili powder and adds a vibrant red color and sweet, peppery taste.
- Sea salt enhances the flavor of the other spices.
- Ground black pepper also enhances the flavor of the spices and is perfect for seasoning chicken.
- Crushed red pepper flakes are a perfect way to add a touch of heat. Or you can substitute with cayenne pepper. Leave it out if you prefer mild seasoning.
Step One: In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir until mixed well.
Step Two: Store the homemade chicken taco seasoning in an airtight container until ready to use. Use 2 tablespoons of seasoning per pound of ground chicken or ground turkey.
Store your homemade chicken taco seasoning in an airtight container such as a mason jar or resealable zip-top bag in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
The amount of chicken taco seasoning you should use per pound of chicken can vary depending on your taste preferences and the intensity of the seasoning mix. As a general guideline, you can start with approximately 2 tablespoons of chicken taco seasoning per pound of chicken. However, it’s important to remember that everyone’s taste buds are different, so feel free to adjust the amount to suit your desired level of flavor.
If you prefer milder tacos, you can start with a smaller amount and gradually add more seasoning if needed. On the other hand, if you love bold and spicy flavors, you can be more generous with the seasoning. It’s all about finding the perfect balance that pleases your palate, so don’t hesitate to taste test as you go along.
Homemade chicken taco seasoning offers several advantages over store-bought options. Firstly, when you make your own seasoning blend, you have complete control over the ingredients, allowing you to customize the flavors to your liking. You can adjust the spiciness, saltiness, and other specific seasonings to create a personalized mix.
Secondly, homemade seasoning tends to be fresher and free from additives, preservatives, and excess sodium often found in store-bought packets. This means you can enjoy a healthier and more natural seasoning blend.
Lastly, making your own chicken taco seasoning can be a fun experience, allowing you to experiment with different herbs and spices to develop a unique flavor profile. While store-bought options are convenient, many find that the homemade version offers better flavor and customization options, making it a popular choice for seasoned or novice cooks.
More Serving Suggestions
While tacos are the obvious choice for using homemade chicken taco seasoning, you don’t have to limit yourself to just one dish. You can use this seasoning blend in other dishes, such as:
Homemade chicken taco seasoning can offer several nutritional benefits, especially compared to store-bought seasoning packets containing additives and excessive amounts of salt. Here are some of the nutritional benefits of homemade chicken taco seasoning:
- Lower Sodium Content: By making your own seasoning blend, you can control the amount of salt you add, which benefits those who want to reduce their sodium intake. Excess salt can lead to high blood pressure and other health issues, so homemade seasoning allows you to use less salt or opt for low-sodium alternatives.
- No Artificial Additives: Homemade seasoning typically contains no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives, which are commonly found in commercial seasoning packets. This means you’re avoiding potentially harmful additives that may have negative health effects.
- Customizable Ingredients: You can choose high-quality, fresh spices and herbs when making your seasoning. For example, you can use organic ingredients or select spices known for their health benefits, such as garlic and cayenne which have anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants.
- Freshness: Homemade seasoning is often fresher than store-bought options, as it doesn’t sit on store shelves for extended periods. Fresh herbs and spices may retain more natural flavors and potential health-promoting compounds.
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes
Easy Chicken Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir until mixed well.
- Store the homemade chicken taco seasoning in an airtight container until ready to use. Use 2 tablespoons of seasoning per pound of ground chicken or turkey.