Amazing Italian Sausage and Vegetable Soup
This is a delicious and comforting soup full of flavor from the Italian sausage, oregano, and basil! And it not only tastes great, but is also loaded with fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. It's a win-win!
- 1 lb hot or mild Italian turkey sausage
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- 48 oz (1.5 L) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup dried medium shell-shaped pasta
- 6 oz baby spinach leaves
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
First, you remove the sausage from the casings into a large pot or Dutch oven. Heat the sausages over high heat and be sure to stir often and break up the sausage with a large spoon. After about 8-10 minutes or until the sausage has browned, spoon out the fat and discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan.
Then, add the carrots, onion, and garlic, stirring often until the onion is soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, basil, and oregano and bring to boil.
Once the broth is boiling, add the pasta and reduce the heat and simmer. Cover the pot and stir occasionally until the pasta is al dente. This will take about 10 minutes. Skim any fat on top. If using turkey sausage, then the fat will likely be minimal. Stir in the spinach and cook until it has wilted which is about 30-60 seconds. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle the soup into bowls and add parmesan cheese.