Tacos are a delicious popular dish that can be enjoyed while following a low FODMAP diet! By making a few adjustments for FODMAP-friendly ingredients, you will love these Easy Weeknight Low FODMAP Tacos, and so will your family and friends.
Typically, tacos contain many high FODMAP ingredients from the taco seasoning, which usually has garlic and onion powder and toppings such as chopped onions or sour cream. But, by making your taco seasoning from scratch and adjusting your toppings for low FODMAP ones, you have control over the ingredients to prevent digestive issues.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
- Low in FODMAPs and gut-friendly!
- Full of nutrient-dense foods for a satisfying meal!
- Easy and quick weeknight meal!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Taco seasoning is necessary to add a ton of flavor to your choice of protein. However, use the ingredients in this recipe to avoid any digestive issues with pre-packaged taco seasonings.
- Ground chicken, turkey, or lean ground beef makes perfect options for tacos. If you prefer a low FODMAP vegetarian option, firm tofu is low in FODMAPs, up to 1 cup per meal.
- Corn or certified gluten-free tortillas are low FODMAP options for delicious tacos! Or use lettuce wraps instead of tortillas for a paleo and low FODMAP variation.
- Taco Toppings such as shredded cheddar cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, shredded romaine lettuce, and diced tomatoes can be customized to your taste buds.
Step One: Mix the low FODMAP taco seasoning ingredients in a small bowl. Then, set aside.
Step Two: Heat garlic-infused olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Then brown ground chicken, turkey, or lean beef over medium heat. Breaking apart meat into smaller pieces, heat until cooked thoroughly and no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper. Drain any excess fat.
Step Three: Add 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning, tomato sauce, diced green chiles, and water to ground meat. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 4 minutes or until thickened.
Step Four: While the taco meat is simmering, warm the tortillas over medium heat in a separate skillet. Heat each tortilla for 20-30 seconds on each side. Then, set each tortilla aside in foil wrap once heated through.
Step Five: Fill the tortillas with taco meat and top with your favorite low FODMAP toppings such as cheddar cheese, chopped cilantro, shredded romaine lettuce, and diced tomatoes. Also, use a low FODMAP salsa such as Fody salsa.
Leftover taco meat should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or a pot on the stove until warmed through.
Store any leftover taco seasoning in an airtight container in a dark and dry place such as a pantry or cupboard for up to 6 months.
Yes, corn tortillas are FODMAP-friendly! According to Monash University, the experts and researchers of the low FODMAP diet, corn tortillas with added gums or fiber are low FODMAP up to 2 tortillas per meal (47 grams). Corn tortillas without added gums or fiber are low FODMAP, up to 3 per meal (57 grams).
Traditionally, tacos have onions and garlic, which are high in FODMAPs. FODMAPs are fermentable carbohydrates that can cause uncomfortable symptoms such as gas, bloating, and abdominal pain in people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). But by making simple ingredient swaps and being mindful of portions, you can create super delicious tacos that will satisfy your taste buds and keep your gut happy!
Low FODMAP Information
The ingredients in this recipe are low in FODMAPs, making it a perfect dinner recipe if you are on the elimination phase of the Low FODMAP diet. Most taco recipes and seasonings contain high FODMAP foods such as onions and garlic. Using the Monash University app, this recipe was created using safe ingredients for people with IBS consumption. However, it is important to adjust the ingredients to your tolerated portions.
More Low FODMAP Recipes
Easy Low FODMAP Tacos
Low FODMAP Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
Low FODMAP Taco Filling
- 1 tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey or lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons low FODMAP Taco Seasoning
- ½ cup canned tomato sauce
- 4 ounces canned diced mild green chiles
- ½ cup water
- 8 corn tortillas or gluten-free tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups shredded lettuce such as romaine
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- salsa Low FODMAP salsa such as Fody
- First, mix the low FODMAP taco seasoning ingredients in a small bowl. Then, set aside.
- Heat garlic-infused olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Then brown ground meat over medium heat. Breaking apart meat into smaller pieces, heat until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of low FODMAP taco seasoning, tomato sauce, diced green chiles, and water to ground meat. Bring to a simmer for 4 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- While the taco meat is simmering, warm the tortillas over medium heat in a separate skillet. Heat each tortilla for 20 to 30 seconds on each side. Then wrap each tortilla in aluminum foil to keep them warm.
- Fill the tortillas with taco meat and top with your favorite low FODMAP toppings, such as cheddar cheese, chopped cilantro, shredded lettuce, and diced tomatoes. Also, use low FODMAP salsa such as Fody salsa.